Smartphones and Tablets
The smartphone and tablet industry represents a dynamic and rapidly growing sector of the global technology market. These devices have become ubiquitous, serving as primary tools for business and personal communication, entertainment, education, and much more.
Smartphones and Tablets Industry
The industry is characterized by fierce competition, continuous innovation, and an unyielding quest for improved performance, user experience, and compactness.
For OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers, advances in thermal interface materials and EMI shielding in smartphones aid in their ability to meet consumer expectations and gain a competitive edge over rivals.
At Polymer Science, our expertise in tapes, coatings and adhesives optimizes the smartphone and tablet manufacturing process as well as user experience. With a broad catalog of EMI shielding and grounding materials as well as an array of thermal interface materials, Polymer Science is a reliable partner for high-quality and impeccably designed materials across many industries.
Beyond EMI Shielding & Grounding and TIMs, our general industrial materials are well-suited for the manufacturing process and packaging.
Polymer Science Materials in the Smartphone and Tablet Industry
P-SHIELD® EMI Shielding & Grounding Materials
The components within electronic devices generate electromagnetic interference. Within smartphone and tablet housings, there are many components, such as processors, memory chips, and wireless communication units, that must operate simultaneously. Proper EMI shielding & grounding eliminates crosstalk and ensures devices run at peak performance. Additionally, grounding is critical to ensure both the user’s safety and to protect the device’s components from electrical overloads.
As smartphones and tablets become more compact, Polymer Science’s P-SHIELD® Shielding & Grounding materials deliver efficient and durable EMI shielding & grounding. Our wide range of conductive adhesives, tapes, films and foams affords OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers the most effective material to suit your needs. With the ability to customize solutions, Polymer Science is consistently recognized as a leader in the smartphone and tablet industry.
One of the simplest and most effective methods for EMI shielding & grounding in smartphones and tablets employs the use of tapes. Polymer Science offers a number of tapes including:
- Fabric Tapes: P-SHIELD® fabric tapes are constructed from robust and flexible materials. Fabric tapes are lightweight and slim making them ideal for compact designs of smartphones and tablets.
- Film Tapes: Thin, flexible and static dissipative, P-SHIELD® film tapes are designed in both anisotropic and isotropic options.
- Foam Tapes: Polymer Science laminates conductive PSA onto electrically conductive polyurethane foams and conductive polyolefin foams. Foam tapes are effective for shielding & grounding and may provide shock protection to sensitive components.
- Foil Tapes: P-SHIELD® foil tapes are offered in copper and aluminum foil. Both options are laminated with a conductive acrylic pressure-sensitive adhesive (PSA). Foil tapes conform to irregular surfaces and provide good wet out on many surfaces.
Polymer Science offers conductive pressure-sensitive adhesives and heat-activated conductive adhesives. These adhesives can be customized to suit the smartphone and tablet manufacturing process in a variety of thicknesses and adhesion levels.
Conductive Foams without Adhesive
Foam is a lightweight material and highly compressible. P-SHIELD® Conductive foam is an effective solution for EMI shielding in electronic device housings. Conductive foam provides shock absorption which benefits the durability of components within smartphones and tablets.
P-THERM® Thermal Interface Materials in Smartphones and Tablets
Polymer Science’s P-THERM® catalog includes gap fillers, 2-part dispensables, phase change materials, heat spreaders and thermally conductive adhesives. Managing the heat generated by electronic components with smartphones and tablets is crucial to the proper operation, safety and longevity of these devices. TIMs aid in the transfer of heat from the heat-generating components to heat sinks or other cooling mechanisms, keeping the devices within safe operating temperatures.
Increased energy density demands more efficient thermal interface materials (TIMs). Polymer Science offers a number of solutions to increase effectiveness, improve the manufacturing process, and optimize the lifespan of the device.
- Gap Fillers: P-THERM® gap fillers fill air gaps between heat-generating components and heat sinks or device enclosures, aiding efficient heat transfer. Gap filler pads may provide shock absorption and device protection.
- 2-Part Dispensables: While thermal gap pads are very effective, manufacturers who want a thin bond line and less material may prefer 2-part dispensables. Another benefit of dispensables for smartphone and tablet manufacturers is increasing efficiency during the manufacturing process. Cure times can be adjusted to suit production.
- Phase Change Materials: These materials change state—typically from a solid to a liquid—at certain temperatures, absorbing heat in the process and thereby helping to control device temperature. In place of solid thermal grease, the thixotropic characteristics of phase change materials remain at the interface.
- Heat Spreaders: In smartphones and tablets, heat spreaders help manage hot spots created by high usage, CPUs, batteries and other components. P-THERM heat spreaders are thin to suit compact design while also distributing heat evenly over a larger area.
- Thermally Conductive Adhesives: These are used to bond components together while facilitating heat transfer away from heat-generating parts. P-THERM® conductive adhesives form reliable and long-lasting bonds between heat-producing surfaces and heat sinks.
Working with Polymer Science
For decades, our team has helped optimize the overall performance of smartphones, tablets and many other devices. Whether you are an OEM or a supplier, Polymer Science is eager to provide tapes, adhesives and coatings for our partners. With a highly varied catalog of materials, our team provides extensive consultation. Other key advantages when working with Polymer Science include samples, fast turn around and ongoing support.